Mom or not to mom



I went to a job interview a few weeks ago, I thought it went really well, but I didn't get the job.  I used to have a good read on these things but I really don't know any more.  I am really confused about how my role as a mom fits into my job search. To some people parenting is just something that they do at home. But for me its what I do ALL the time.  I have focused on parenting for 7 years but to employers I might as well have been in a dark hole in the desert eating ants. They don't even ask me about those 7 years missing on my resume. I think about , parenting, I read about child development, child education, infant care, etc. I am constantly thinking about how I can be a better mom and how I can help my kids be better or do more. So when I leave that part of me out of the interview.....I think I come off as flat and boring. So, I decided to add this to my resume.  I'm interested in seeing what it yields. 

Side note. I have decided to go to school part-time.....again.  I am hoping to focus on math (scary) so that I can broaden my options.

Mama                                   In the home of Adam and Tara
Dec. 5, 2005-always 
  •         Co-financial officer 
  •         Chief purchasing officer 
  •         Health care coordinator/record keeper 
  •         Memory/event  archivist 
  •         First aid Responder 
  •         Education coordinator (teacher and tutor)
    o   Including impromptu workshops on: sharing, contributing to your community and world, being kind, talking in public, showing feelings, I’m perfect the way I am, I am more than what I look like, and table manners 
    o   Teach classes in Math, Science, Writing, Spelling, Colors, Shapes, Crafts, Holiday Celebrations, and History  
     
  • Editor
    o    Check homework including editing advanced engineering and scientific papers for my husband and graduate school applications for neighbors and friends  
    24 hour care-taking 
    o   specializing in middle of the night ‘you hurt my feelings’ and ‘I had a scary thought/read a scary book’ 
    o   Also, ‘I don’t know what to wear’ 
    o   Bath time and taking care of yourself 
    Health
    o   Eating healthy foods/being active 
    o   Sleep
     Emergency preparedness officer 
    o    Setting up and managing savings accounts and insurance policies. Writing will and setting up godparents. Coordinating emergency evacuation routes and plans for fire, earth quake, I’m late to pick you up, etc.
     Setting a good example 
    o   Volunteering in community organizations whenever possible, putting an emphasis and priority on education, being honest, being forgiving, and being available to help. 
      World Watch 
    o   Keeping up on political news local, national, and world 
    o   Staying informed on such topics as; women in the world and workplace, global climate change, economic news, equal rights, national security, world conflicts, etc. 
  • Morale
    • Dancing
    • Laughing
    • Impromptu comedian

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Mom resume. Seriously the hardest job I've ever had, and with the biggest possible stakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly. Nothing I have ever done was more important.....but I don't get the feeling that the job is valued.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for spelling it out, so now when my kids or anyone asks me what I do all day, I have a kick butt answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Jill. Notice I didn't put in all the cooking and cleaning stuff but that takes up a lot of my day and I know yours too.

      Delete